Sunday, February 5, 2017

The Advocates Betrayal (The Advocate Series book 2) by Teresa Burrell

The Advocate's Betrayal (The Advocate Series Book 2) by [Burrell, Teresa]

Synopsis via Amazon:
The Killer left nothing behind but a rosary, a kitchen knife, and a dead man. but the dead man is a friend of Sabre Orin Brown. When his unsuspecting wife is accused of the murder, Sabre will stop at nothing to uncover the truth, even if it means unearthing chilling secrets. 
From a San Diego jail to the shady Chicago nightlife, Sabre's search for the true killer forces her to face the question: What do you do when the ones you trust the most are the ones with the most to hide?


This was my introduction to the Advocate Series by Miss Burrell. While it is the second book in the series, it was an effortless read. These books, in my opinion, are stand alone reads. Miss Burrell does bring in elements of the previous book, but it in no way confuses the story.
Sabre is a lawyer for the juvenile court as an advocate for the children. But in this story she finds herself thrust into the position as a trial lawyer for a friend accused of murder. Outside of her comfort zone, Sabre along with her new boyfriend and colleagues does her best to help her friend and catch a killer.
This is a true whodunnit thriller that will keep you guessing. The twists and turns will keep you engaged and involved. The side story of one of Sabre's court cases is one that will make you think hard about what really goes on in this world.
 Miss Burrell's character development is honest and realistic. Her characters are real and believable, human and fallible, and relevant to today's world.  One thing I really like about this story is that her characters are not unrealistically perfect. I fell in love with the characters. flaws and all. I loved to hate the villains and felt compassion for the victims. and found myself pulling for the underdog.
I find that a lot of the mystery/thrillers are predictable when it comes to who the guilty party is.  Well, Miss Burrell kept me guessing. While I figured out early who the murderer was, it wasn't dropped in my lap. I had to really think and navigate through the clues. It was a book that really made me use my brain. I loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment