Friday, December 26, 2014

A Curvy Coldwater Christmas by Jenn Roseton

A Curvy Coldwater Christmas (Coldwater Springs #5)

Synopsis via Goodreads:

When Kate is asked by her friend, Sarah McCord, to appear as Mrs. Claus in the Coldwater Springs Christmas parade, she doesn’t know what to think! After all, she’s only twenty-nine. And although she has a very curvy figure, she’s not matronly and gray-haired - yet. 

But when she finds out that the hunky guy she’s admired for the last few months, Flynn Winters, will play opposite her as Santa, she’s glad she agreed to take part. Especially when the script calls for them to kiss …. 

This story interested me because Miss Roseton went outside the norm. This is a story where the main character isn't the typical size -2 woman, totally confident in herself, and ready to take on the world. To me, Kate is more like "us". She is a curvy lady, kinda shy, but willing to try new things. And then there is Flynn. Flynn is the typical "love story hottie". He has muscle, looks, but he doesn't ignore curves for a tall, thin, goddess like most romance leading men do.

This is a novelette, as Miss Roseton describes it. There isn't a whole lot of build up or back story. The meat of the story is Kate and Flynn are asked to be Santa Claus and Mrs. Claus for the holiday parade and that is where the story begins.

What I liked: As I said already, the lead female is outside the norm, the lead male is a hottie, and the curvy lady doesn't get left out in the cold. It is a feel good story without a lot of "action" of any kind.

What I didn't like: There was no "action" of any kind except kissing. No heavy make out sessions that get stopped before the characters go too far, very little conversation between ANY characters, and there is only Kate's point of view until the prologue.
I understand it is a novelette (though I think I missed that description when I ordered the book), but there is so much more that can be done with this story. I understand it is a part of the Coldwater Springs Series, but can be read as a stand alone story. I do not know if Miss Roseton is planning on expanding Kate and Flynn's story in another of her books, but I would definitely be interested to see how she expands their story.

It was a decent read, but climaxed and fell way to quickly for my taste. I was expecting more from this story.

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment