Friday, June 5, 2015

A Shiver of Light (Meredith Gentry #9) by Laurell K. Hamilton


Synopsis via Goodreads:

I am Princess Meredith NicEssus. Legal name Meredith Gentry, because “Princess” looks so pretentious on a driver’s license. I was the first faerie princess born on American soil, but I wouldn't be the only one for much longer...

Merry Gentry, ex–private detective, now full-time princess, knew she was descended from fertility goddesses, but when she learned she was about to have triplets, she began to understand what that might mean. Infertility has plagued the high ranks of faerie for centuries. Now nobles of both courts of faerie are coming to court Merry and her men, at their home in exile in the Western Lands of Los Angeles, because they will do anything to have babies of their own.


Taranis, King of Light and Illusion, is a more dangerous problem. He tried to seduce Merry and, failing that, raped her. He’s using the human courts to sue for visitation rights, claiming that one of the babies is his. And though Merry knows she was already pregnant when he took her, she can’t prove it.


To save herself and her babies from Taranis she will use the most dangerous powers in all of faerie: a god of death, a warrior known as the Darkness, the Killing Frost, and a king of nightmares. They are her lovers, and her dearest loves, and they will face down the might of the high courts of faerie—while trying to keep the war from spreading to innocent humans in Los Angeles, who are in danger of becoming collateral damage.


So, this is one of my favorite series. I love reading about Merry and her "men". There is always excitement, adventure, sex and intrigue. And Miss Hamilton did not disappoint!


I was afraid that the previous book was going to be the last. All the characters were happy, Merry was pregnant, and faerie was alive and growing again, even if it was in Los Angeles. But I was so happy to see another book out!


The excitement starts at the beginning of the book with the birth of the triplets. Merry introduces us to each baby and the reason behind their names. And of course, the babies are not your typical babies, either by human standards or faerie standards. Of course, they don't have your everyday, typical one father.
I enjoyed getting more of an insight into Aunt Andais. And of course King Taranis is being his normal nutso self. But he is the main villain this time.

I read a review that said this was a fluff piece. Of course this particular reviewer used the f-word like it was a preposition, multiple times in each sentence throughout the review and then got a conscience and used this: @$$ for ass. So I personally don't give much credence to the review.


I enjoyed being back among Merry and her group. There is lots of love, acceptance of most everyone, genuine respect for Merry by her fellow faerie brethren, and struggles. Miss Hamilton doesn't make everything sunshine and roses. While Merry is well respected by most of the faerie-folk, she has struggles with them too. Not only those against her, but those that are in her camp. Miss Hamilton shows the reader the side of Merry that struggles with being a leader and providing everything that is needed for her followers. Miss Hamilton does a great job of showing Merry's human side and faerie side.

 This particular book in the series was very short on sex (especially compared to the others, but it did have some) and very long on developing characters, struggles, and storyline. I found it very hard to put down (I read it in 2 days). While there is a primary character death, unfortunately it wasn't one of the characters that meant a lot to me, so I didn't feel that impact. But Miss Hamilton did a great job of writing the reactions to that death. Oh and the babies!! I really love how the babies are so interesting and special!
As always, I anxiously await the next book. In the mean time, I have an Anita Blake book to get to the store and get. . .
This is a definite read and I hope you have a happy time reading!!

I welcome responses and opinions to my reviews. I would love to hear from my visitors.

No comments:

Post a Comment