Monday, May 25, 2015

Burned by Karen Marie Moning

Burned (Fever, #7)


Synopsis via Goodreads:
It’s easy to walk away from lies. Power is another thing.

MacKayla Lane would do anything to save the home she loves. A gifted sidhe-seer, she’s already fought and defeated the deadly Sinsar Dubh—an ancient book of terrible evil—yet its hold on her has never been stronger.

When the wall that protected humans from the seductive, insatiable Fae was destroyed on Halloween, long-imprisoned immortals ravaged the planet. Now Dublin is a war zone with factions battling for control. As the city heats up and the ice left by the Hoar Frost King melts, tempers flare, passions run red-hot, and dangerous lines get crossed. 

Seelie and Unseelie vie for power against nine ancient immortals who have governed Dublin for millennia; a rival band of sidhe-seers invades the city, determined to claim it for their own; Mac’s former protégé and best friend, Dani “Mega” O’Malley, is now her fierce enemy; and even more urgent, Highland druid Christian MacKeltar has been captured by the Crimson Hag and is being driven deeper into Unseelie madness with each passing day. The only one Mac can depend on is the powerful, dangerous immortal Jericho Barrons, but even their fiery bond is tested by betrayal.

It’s a world where staying alive is a constant struggle, the line between good and evil gets blurred, and every alliance comes at a price. In an epic battle against dark forces, Mac must decide who she can trust, and what her survival is ultimately worth.

This is #7 in Miss Moning's Fever series. This is one of my favorite series. But for this book I chose to listen to the audio book.

 Let's talk about content first. Miss Moning took us back to Mac and Barrons. I was so excited to get back to the stars of the Fever series. I mean, Mac is what made the series and Barrons, well, let's just say Barron's is who kept Mac alive and fighting.
While Mac isn't really fighting for her life in this book, we see a lot more of Mac and Barron's relationship. I guess we get to actually see that it is a relationship and not just down and dirty sex. (Although that part was fine with me)
In this story it kind of starts where ICED ends, but not really, There is no definitive time frame for where this story really begins in relation to the other books. But there are references that take you back to ICED.
I was a little disappointed in the direction Miss Moning took BURNED. There was so much reflection and internal discussion that the story got a little boring in parts. I feel bad that I feel that way because to me it's like Miss Moning is trying to give us a deeper glimpse into each character. I enjoyed learning more about Ryodan and a few of Barron's group.
While the action isn't as plentiful in this book as most of the others, it is still there.

Now let's talk about the narration.
There are two narrators. Phil Gigante and Natalie Ross. They are nothing short of AWESOME!!
They take on the voice of each character as if they were the main character. Mr. Gigante voiced every male character flawlessly in that you knew it was a different character when you heard his voices. Miss Ross was also flawless. She voiced the female voices very well. I was very impressed with her southern accent. I am convinced she IS southern. Being from Nashville, TN I hear southern accents every day. If she isn't from the south, kudos for her talent. Both Miss Ross and Mr. Gigante do a great job with their Irish and Scottish brogues.
One of the things I really liked about the narration is that they don't just read. They "act" out the parts. They have passion, frustration, anger, love, and they play off each other very well. I was able to sit, listen and create a "movie" in my head based on how well they brought the words to life.

All in all, while I wasn't as impressed with this story as I have been with the others in this series, I would buy it all over again. And when the next book comes out, I will definitely buy that one. The only difficult decision I will have is whether to buy the traditional copy or the audio book. If Miss Ross and Mr. Gigante narrate it, I will have an even more difficult choice.

If you have read the other six books n this series, I highly recommend purchasing this one. If you have never tried an audio book, this one would be perfect for you to try your first one.
If you haven't read any books in this series, I highly recommend Miss Moning's Fever series.

Happy Reading!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment