Monday, September 10, 2018

The President's Henchman by Joseph Flynn

The President's Henchman (Jim McGill series Book 1) by [Flynn, Joseph]

Synopsis via Amazon:

Imagine the United States has elected its first female president. That would make her husband — what?

Well, if he's the ex-cop who solved the murder of the president's first husband and brought the killers to justice … and if he's not the kind of guy to stand on formality … and if he doesn't want to be the head of the FBI … and if he takes out a license and becomes the first private eye to live in the White House … 

That would make him The President's Henchman.

Jim McGill's first case is to find out who is stalking a member of the White House press corps, before that stalker turns the tables on McGill and maybe even threatens the president herself. He's also called upon to be a shadow advisor to a young Air Force investigator who is looking into a he-said she-said charge of adultery leveled against a female colonel working at the Pentagon, a case with the potential to derail the new president's administration before it has a chance to begin.

First of all let me say this, I actually paid for this book through Kindle. I know I do a lot of reviewing for authors, but not this one.
Generally I do not read political thrillers. Heck, I rarely even read the blurb about them. But for some reason, this stood out for me. I can't say it was the book cover because it's pretty generic. But, the blurb really intrigued me. I did go into the book expecting there to be a ton of politics and for the author to take this opportunity to push his own political views. I was also expecting the story to be a "What if Hilary Clinton was elected?" rhetoric. Boy was I pleasantly surprised.
The story line flows very well with just the right amount of politics to tie the president into the story and help the reader to understand the premise. But the truth is, the story isn't about politics, it's about the human spirit, right versus might, and good overcoming evil. But one of the points I really liked was that good didn't wipe out evil. No, he wrote this from a realistic point of view.
So, what did I NOT like about the book? Well, there were a few times when he got very technical with the specs on boats. I found myself starting to skim over those points and then skipping forward to the point where he went back to the story. My personal opinion is that the story was bogged down by these little forays. But, there were only a few times this happened.
Overall, I really enjoyed this book and can't wait to read the next book in teh series.

No comments:

Post a Comment