Monday, July 4, 2016

Xoe (The Xoe Meyers Serise Book 1) by Sara Roethle


Synopsis via Amazon:
Xoe never thought she’d be the type of girl to contemplate murder. Of course, she never thought she’d be dealing with werewolves on top of her own strange, budding powers. She’d also never considered the possibility of her long lost father being a demon. Everything comes crashing down at once when her best friend’s life is put in peril, and Xoe will do whatever it takes to save her. On top of it all, there’s Jason. He might be tall and handsome, but she doesn’t trust him as far as she can throw him. Given that he’s a vampire, she’ll have to be able to catch him first. 

Have I ever said that Urban Fantasy is one of my favorite genres? Well it is, but it isn't always easy to find a good story that doesn't focus on shifters and vampires in a cookie cutter story.
XOE is one of those stories that has its own voice. This is a story that kept me engrossed from word to word, page to page, and twist by twist. Should I feel guilty that I stayed up too long one night to finish the book in one day? Should I feel guilty that I was really tired the next day at work and it was all my fault? Well, I did feel guilty, but it was so worth the guilt and fatigue.
 Xoe is a strong female character. She doesn't shy away from the unknown. She tackles it head on.
One of the things I liked about this story is that it defines true friendship. Three very different high school girls stick together during good times, hard times and strange times. 
I have to say, I am having a difficult time trying to put my opinion into words. I don't want to give away the story line. I was impressed with the way Miss Roethle depicted the relationship each girl had with their parents. It was realistic. They weren't left to their own devices, they were actually given rules to follow and they did. For me, the storyline with its twists and turns are what makes this story so great.
I will say that this story holds its own without sex. It is classified as YA/Urban Fantasy. I can't wait to read book two.

No comments:

Post a Comment